Alterations and Hanging
- Exhibitions staff will lead and/or provide consultation for all installations.
- Standard hanging height for artwork is 54” on center for accessibility purposes.
- Artwork can only be hung from gallery walls or Unistrut system. Walls and columns in upper and lower spaces are ½” plywood on metal studs, sheathed with 5/8” drywall; temporary walls have no structural backing and north side walls in public entryway do not have plywood.
- Alterations to space layout can be made with temporary non-structural partition walls (19 –102”Hx423/4”Wx15/8”D) and can be suspended from Unistrut system by staff as needed with prior arrangements.
- No drilling, structurally altering or painting the floor, ceiling, exposed concrete walls or columns, light track, light fixture, or Unistrut system.
- Gallery walls can be altered but only with prior approval from the Senior Preparators.
- Unless specific to an individual piece, use of screws for hanging artwork on gallery walls is preferred over nails. Also, avoid any adhesive materials that may cause damage to the gallery walls.
- Urban Arts Space is located in the LEED gold-certified Lazarus building, requiring the use of nontoxic paints, sealants, and adhesives. When using paint for the gallery, be sure that it is labeled as low-VOC or no-VOC.
- No touching, adjusting, attaching to, or suspending from, the light track system, light fixtures, lighting controls, or thermostats.
- Never hang artwork from the concrete column tops or concrete ceiling or any of its mechanical, electrical or heating system components.
- Freely suspended artwork or technology can only be hung from Unistrut or built-in pulley systems (125 lbs. per pulley) with the assistance of the exhibitions staff.
- Artwork to be installed directly on the floor must be approved by the Deputy Director prior to installation. This will also require you to forego Urban Arts Space insurance.
- The Unistrut is the metal grid system mounted to the ceiling.
- Temporary Unistrut can be added to existing grid as needed with prior arrangements. Unistrut is 1 5/8” wide, and up to 20’ long sections are available. Check with the exhibitions staff to make arrangements.
- Unistrut grids and the light track system are +/-11’ from the floor in the lower space and +/-9’ in the upper space.
- Single point suspension from Unistrut or pulley system is limited to 125 lbs.
- DO NOT alter Unistrut system without approval from exhibitions staff.
Access to the Space
- The Space is available for installing and striking exhibitions during normal gallery hours (Tuesday – Saturday 11 AM to 6 PM with extended hours on Thursdays until 8 PM) unless prior arrangements are made with the Deputy Director. (Access outside of these hours will require that the exhibitor pay for staffing.)
- A loading dock that is shared with all Lazarus tenants is available with prior arrangements. Contact Lazarus Security upon arrival (office is located to the west of the dock – look for a blue light) for permission to use.
- The ramp, stairs, and exit doors must always remain free of any encumbrance or obstruction.
- Doorway access is limited to maximum measurements 68” high x 94” wide.
- Lower space access includes 4-step drop or 42” wide ramp.
- Center handrails on front and back steps.
- Alterations and installation of lights will be done by the exhibitions staff only. Please discuss specific lighting needs with the Senior Preparator or Exhibitions Staff.
- Light track system has numerous fixtures; flood lamps and spots available in 50watt for smaller fixtures and 120watt larger fixtures.
- A limited assortment of white wooden pedestals is available. Please check availability with Exhibitions Staff.
- An even smaller number of pedestals are available with plexi-glass covers; specific screws for securing work are available for all of these.
- Electricity can be accessed anywhere in the gallery through wall outlets or a limited number of drop-down electrical boxes (installed by exhibitions staff only) inserted into light track system as needed.
- Artwork involving electricity needs to be in compliance with the building, safety and fire codes. Certification from a qualified electrician may be required.
- A theatrical lighting box (100 amp single phase power supply with camlock safety distribution connection) is installed in our wet room and accessible through the upper gallery. Please contact the Deputy Director or Senior Preparator for more information.
Animals and Perishable Objects
- If intending to use animals or perishable objects a special permit is needed from The Ohio State University, the Lazarus Building Management, and Urban Arts Space Director. Please contact the Deputy Director for more information.
- The Lazarus building has a policy banning animals on the grounds with the exception of service animals. If the project is approved, the exhibitor is responsible for the appropriate and humane care of any animals.
- Artwork that includes perishable elements such as plants, produce, meat, etc must come with prior written approval from the institutions (stated above). Exhibitor will be responsible for maintaining these elements (i.e. watering plants, changing out produce, refrigerating meat at the end of each day). Artwork must be installed in a way that prevents the attraction of bugs, rodents, excessive odor or other pestilence.
- Due to the limited number of resources that Urban Arts Space has, exhibitors may be required to provide their own technology resources.
- Urban Arts Space has a house sound system that works throughout the entire space. Check with Exhibitions Staff for availability.
- The house sound system includes 7 speakers mounted throughout the space in various locations. The speakers cannot be moved, blocked or altered in any way.
- Free Wireless Internet access is available for specific, on-site, works through ATT wireless; no landlines are available in exhibition areas.
On/Off Directions & Interactive Works
- Interactive work and work using technology or electronics requires step-by-step instructions for the exhibition maintenance by the staff. If work cannot be easily maintained by the staff you are responsible for the maintenance during the exhibition.
- All work must be able to be turned on and off from the floor without a ladder.
- For interactive work signage can be displayed with work so visitors can interact without staff supervision.
- In order to accommodate a multitude of perspectives, please consider placing interactive components of work between 36-48” from the floor and operable with a closed fist. If you have questions, please contact the Deputy Directors.
- Urban Arts Space is located in the Lazarus Building, which is a LEED certified green building. Part of this certification is the heating and cooling system, which fluctuates during the day. By design the space maintains a humidity of 40% - 45%, and is regulated by the Lazarus Building during the hours; Monday from 8:00am - 6:30pm, Tuesday –Friday from 6:00am - 8:00pm, and Saturday and Sunday from 4:00am – 10:00pm.
- Work displayed in or under the window coffers is susceptible to direct sunlight. The windows are covered in Solarban® 60 Low-e glass filter that reduces UV rays as much as 72% compared to a clear glass, which helps in regulating the temperature in this space.
- Signage is organized by Urban Arts Space staff and any special needs for signage needs to be organized with the Senior Preparators.
- Standard hanging height for exhibition text panels is 56” on center.
- Standard hanging height for labels and artist’s statements is 42” to the bottom.
- Standard font size for labels and artist’s statements is no smaller than 14pt.
- Standard font for labels and artist’s statements is Arial.
Of Special Note
- Urban Arts Space is unable to store packing materials during exhibitions. Please plan to take any packing materials upon completion of the install and bring them back for the strike.
- The Space has a variety of ladders available for installations that can be used with prior approval from the Exhibitions Staff.
- Closed-toe, flat shoes with hard tops are required for those installing work in the Urban Arts Space.
- No spray adhesive, spray paint, or other aerosol chemicals are allowed.
- Unless written instructions are given to the Deputy Director by the artist two weeks prior to the strike all work will be removed from the walls, pedestals and de-installed based on the timeline set for the strike and restoration.
- Urban Arts Space reserves the right to remove artwork from an exhibition at any time.
- Exhibitors are welcome to work during regular gallery hours on the listed dates on agreement letter but must execute the attached release and further acknowledge and agree that the type of work they are able to perform may be limited depending on scheduled activities and events in the Space and availability of staff.