John Fergus Family Scholarship and Exhibition
The John Fergus Family Scholarship is a juried art competition open to studio-based visual art and design students at The Ohio State University. Students submit their work for review by a jury of faculty from the departments of Art; Arts Administration, Education and Policy; Design; and History of Art. Scholarship winners receive a $1,000 scholarship applied to their student account and exhibit their work at the annual Fergus Scholarship Award Exhibition, a virtual exhibition featuring work selected from the scholarship recipients' application.
- November 16, 2020: Application due by 11:59pm EST
- November 23, 2020: Uploaded images to BuckeyeBox due by 5:00pm EST
- Dates To Be Determined: Virtual Exhibition hosted via uas.osu.edu
How to Apply
The John Fergus Family Scholarship is available to full-time undergraduate (12 credit hours) and graduate students (8 credit hours) at The Ohio State University enrolled in a degree-granting program in the Departments of Art; Arts Administration, Education and Policy; History of Art; or Design. Eligible students must not have outstanding fee balances on their student account for Autumn Semester of the current academic year.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit works that will not be, or have not been, exhibited in Urban Arts Space and Hopkins Hall Gallery. Selected work must be available for the exhibition. Failure to provide work selected for the exhibition could result in disqualification and rescinding of the award.
To submit artwork for jury review, applicants should complete an initial application via the 'Apply Now' button below. Within three business days of application submission, the applicant will receive a BuckeyeBox link via their Ohio State email address to upload images of their artwork for review.
Applications are not complete until images have been received via BuckeyeBox.
Uploaded materials should contain:
- No more than 6 images of works. (Allowed file types: gif, jpg, png, eps, tif, pdf, avi, mp4, mov, mp3, wav)
- Save files in the following format. (lastname_1.jpg, lastname_2.jpg, lastname_3.jpg, etc…)
- A PDF or word document detailing credit information for each work.
(title, materials, year, size or original duration)
- Specify in the credit if a video file is documentation of a physical piece or if an image is a detail/close-up.
- Video files must be no more than 2 minutes in length. A full length video may be submitted at a later date if selected for exhibition.
Applicants must carefully read and follow all guidelines and instructions. Submissions that do not adhere to these guidelines, or are submitted after the deadline, may not be eligible for an award.
All applications are due by November 16, 2020 at 11:59pm EST
Images must be uploaded by November 23, 2020 at 5:00pm EST
Contact Jeremy Stone, Exhibitions Coordinator and Senior Preparator for more information.
The John Fergus Family Scholarship was established with gifts from John C. and Elizabeth O. Fergus, and Robert H. Fergus, in honor of their mother, Edith Fergus-Gilmore.